After successfully completing this lesson, you should be able to:
1. Describe and summarize current energy efficiency situation and primary energy sources in the US.
2. Describe basic terminology in lighting such as lumens, lighting efficiency, CRI and color temperature.
3. Describe and summarize basic types of lighting and appropriate application for each type.
4. Analyze and prescribe appropriate P2 alternatives given a particular lighting environment.
5. Analyze and perform financial comparison of P2 alternatives in lighting.
P2 in Energy - Goal
Starting this lesson, we will learn various P2 opportunities in common industrial/commercial energy use. The goal for "P2 in Energy" part is to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to develop proposals for common energy efficiency projects. First, let's review what is the current energy efficiency situation and primary energy sources in the U.S., since most of you should have discussed this in HSC 156 - Environmental Health in the 21st Century, so....
Let's start with some questions...
From the above answers, we can see not only we rely on polluting primary energy sources such as coal to generate electricity, we are also doing a very poor job in terms of converting efficiency, only 30% efficient when converting coal to electricity! Do we use electricity efficiently? Not at all if we use the conventional incandescent light bulb at only 5% efficient!
We heavily reply on imported crude oil for our transportation, but unfortunately our gasoline engine is only 10% efficient! Certainly primary energy source is not only used for generating electricity or for transportation, they are also used for heating, cooling and a variety of other industrial uses, how efficient are those uses?