Mat 411 - Advanced Topics in Mathematics
- Catalog Copy
MAT 411 SELECTED
TOPICS IN ADVANCED MATHEMATICS 3 sem. hrs.
or better in MAT 336 or MAT 337 or MAT 347,
or cons inst req.
Advanced topics in
mathematics (Knot theory and applications, category
theory, complex analysis,
differential topology and geometry,
Lie groups and dynamical systems, topics in mathematical-physics
(A flavor of some
topics covered) Textbook: first
- Will focus on topics from Number Theory, using an algebraic
approach with applications to Physics (see syllabus for details).
- No background on number theory is needed; nor on physics; just
come and enjoy!
to the POSet of Primes
Four Squares Theorem Using Quanternion Algebra by Drew Stokesbary
- Take-home Final Exams (examples): Kathrin Ferber,
- Afterthoughts from students:
- "I learned a lot of new concepts for
this semester, Now I can get math concepts a lot. It was
fun. I'm so happy I got many math topics in the class.I really
believe that it helps to understand other class for next
semester. Thank you so much for this semester."
- "I really enjoyed your class this
semester and hope to be in one of your classes again in the
- "Thanks for a great semester
professor. We covered a good deal of interesting topics in this
"I am appreciate you bring so much fun and
interesting class to us.I like the way you teach us thinking."
Syllabus, Textbook: Abstract
Algebra, by D. S. Dummit & R. M. Foote, Wikipedia.org.
Updated Oct., 2011